Dr. Hieu Bui is currently an Assistant Professor in the department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Catholic University of America. Dr. Bui received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Duke University and his M.Sc. and B.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Boise State University. Upon the completion of his postgraduate education, he taught CS and Nanotechnology courses for the Duke University and Duke Talent Identification Program. Following that he was a National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine NRC Postdoctoral Fellow at the Center for Bio/Molecular Science and Engineering of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington D.C. His research interests are molecular computing, DNA nanotechnology, and synthetic biology. In particular, his research is focused on programming and engineering nucleic acid systems with DNA nanotechnology and bio-materials for addressing engineering, health, and energy applications. His research work has been published in peer-reviewed journals (i.e. Nano Letters, ACS Synthetic Biology, ACS Nano, Small, New Journal of Physics), conferences (i.e. Foundations of Nanoscience, International Conference on DNA Computing and Molecular Programming, ISDRS, IEEE IRW) and book chapters. Dr. Bui is the recipient of the Outstanding Ph.D. Award from the Computer Science department of Duke University, Duke University Nanoscience Fellow, Micron Scholar, and National Academy of Sciences Research Associateship.
- Torres Vidal, Alana, Igor L. Medintz, and Hieu Bui. "DNA Microsystems for Biodiagnosis." Micromachines 11, no. 4 (2020): 445. DOI: 10.3390/mi11040445
- Song, Tianqi, Abeer Eshra, Shalin Shah, Hieu Bui, Daniel Fu, Ming Yang, Reem Mokhtar, and John Reif. "Fast and compact DNA logic circuits based on single-stranded gates using strand-displacing polymerase." Nature Nanotechnology 14, no. 11 (2019): 1075-1081. DOI: 10.1038/s41565-019-0544-5
- Bui, Hieu, Carl W. Brown III, Susan Buckhout‐White, Sebastián A. Díaz, Michael H. Stewart, Kimihiro Susumu, Eunkeu Oh, Mario G. Ancona, Ellen R. Goldman, and Igor L. Medintz. "Transducing Protease Activity into DNA Output for Developing Smart Bionanosensors." Small 15, no. 14 (2019): 1805384. DOI: 10.1002/smll.201805384
- Song, Tianqi, Shalin Shah, Hieu Bui, Sudhanshu Garg, Abeer Eshra, Daniel Fu, Ming Yang, Reem Mokhtar, and John Reif. "Programming DNA-based biomolecular reaction networks on cancer cell membranes." Journal of the American Chemical Society 141, no. 42 (2019): 16539-16543. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.9b05598
- Bui, Hieu, Shalin Shah, Reem Mokhtar, Tianqi Song, Sudhanshu Garg, and John Reif. "Localized DNA hybridization chain reactions on DNA origami." ACS Nano 12, no. 2 (2018): 1146-1155. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.7b06699
- Bui, Hieu, Vincent Miao, Sudhanshu Garg, Reem Mokhtar, Tianqi Song, and John Reif. "Design and analysis of localized DNA hybridization chain reactions." Small 13, no. 12 (2017): 1602983. DOI: 10.1002/smll.201602983
- Bui, Hieu, Craig Onodera, Carson Kidwell, YerPeng Tan, Elton Graugnard, Wan Kuang, Jeunghoon Lee, William B. Knowlton, Bernard Yurke, and William L. Hughes. "Programmable periodicity of quantum dot arrays with DNA origami nanotubes." Nano Letters 10, no. 9 (2010): 3367-3372. DOI: 10.1021/nl101079u