Prof. Abot teaches courses to many of the engineering students at CatholicU. His research group is engaged on projects about mechanics, materials engineering, fabrication, electromechanical characterization of composite materials and structural health monitoring using carbon nanotube fiber-based sensors. These research projects have received funding from AFOSR, NASA and Fulbright. Prof. Abot is also a collaborator on several research projects with colleagues in the USA, Brazil, Mexico and Denmark. Prof. Abot has published more than 120 technical papers and is a Guest Editor of Sensors and the Journal of Carbon Research, a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Composites Science and the Journal of Carbon Research, and a member of the Advisory Board of Sci. Prof. Abot also serves the Department of Mechanical Engineering, the Materials Science and Engineering Program, and the School of Engineering in several academic areas including mentoring, recruitment, inclusion, accreditation and international programs.
- Anike, J. C., Belay, K. and Abot, J. L. Effect of twist on the electromechanical properties of carbon nanotube yarns. Carbon 142: 491-503 (2019).
- Abot, J. L., Góngora-Rubio, M. R., Anike, J. C., Kiyono, C. Y., Mello, L. A. M., Cardoso, V. F., Rosa, R. L. S., Kuebler, D. A., Brodeur, G. E., Alotaibi, A. H., Coene, M. P., Coene, L. M., Jean, E., Santiago, R. C., Oliveira, F. H. A., Rangel, R. C., Thomas, G. P., Belay, K., da Silva, L. W., Moura, R. T., Seabra, A. C. and Silva, E. C. N. Foil strain gauges sensing using piezoresistive carbon nanotube yarn: Fabrication and calibration. Sensors Special Issue: Integrated Structural Health Monitoring in Polymeric Composites 18, 464 (2018).
- Anike, J. C., Belay, K. and Abot, J. L. Piezoresistive response of carbon nanotube yarns under tension: Parametric effects and phenomenology. New Carbon Materials 33, 6 (2018).
- Anike, J. C., Le, H. H., Brodeur, G. E., Kadavan, M. M. and Abot, J. L. Piezoresistive response of integrated carbon nanotube yarns under compression and tension: the effect of lateral constraint. Carbon Res. 3, 14 (2017).
- Anike, J. C., Bajar, A. and Abot, J. L. Time-dependent effects on the coupled mechanical-electrical response of carbon nanotube yarns under tensile loading. J. Carbon Res. 2(1), 3 (2016).